Mt. Kasagi

Main content starts here.


Emperor Tenmu chased after a deer and into a dangerous situation while hunting in Mt. Kasagi in the Nara era. He prayed to the Buddha and escaped harm. Afterward, he carved an image of Maitreya on the surface of a large stone. Kasagidera Temple started as a place to honor this. It grew as a training ground for mountain ascetics called "shugensha" in the late Heian Period, but was burned down during the Genko War. The current main hall, Shogatsu Hall, and Bishamondo Hall were built during the Muromachi Period.

Basic information


Postal code:619-1303
Kasagiyama, Kasagi-koaza, Kasagi-cho, Soraku-gun

Time held/open

Summer: 8:30 - 17:00 / Winter: 9:00 - 16:00


- Take JR Kansai Main Line to "Kasagi Station," walk 45 min

Access to Kyoto by the Sea

Access to Kyoto in the Forests

Access to Kyoto Infused with Tea

Access to Kyoto Otokuni Bamboo Grove

Contact information


Mt. Kasagi



HOME > Mt. Kasagi