Rurikei Valley, a nationally designated place of scenic and historical beauty, is a long ravine (500 meters tall and approximately 4 km long) with a spring deep in the mountains. Heading upstream towards Lake Tsuten-ko, you'll find the "12 Scenic Spots of Rurikei," including "Meibaku" (lit. "crying waterfall"), "Soryuen" (lit. "dragon pair chasm") and "Gyokusoban" (lit. "basin of running jewels")—waterfalls and cliffs with names designed to reflect their nature. So enchanting is the beautiful highland scenery to visitors as it changes throughout the seasons that Rurikei Valley has even been called "the Karuizawa of Kansai" (Karuizawa is a mountain resort in Nagano Prefecture).
In the Kyotamba Winery, you can see the full winemaking process, from fermentation all the way to the finished product, as well as enjoy refreshments afterwards.
In the restaurant, you can enjoy cuisine made with Tamba Beef as well as various wines and cheeses. The shop also has a lot of items, such as containers for small items, that are useful for wine connoisseurs.
You can also take a tour of the vineyards to see the grapes growing on the vine.
Make-jinja Shrine was built long ago, and it is a shrine listed with the highest rank by the Japanese government. In 1079, it was visited by the Emperor Shirawa, and the shrine was honored with an imperial scroll, "Funai Dai-ichi Make-jinja." During the Edo period (1603-1868), the shrine also became a place of prayer for Koide, daimyo of the Sonobe Clan. All of the shrine buildings date to the Edo period, and both the main shrine and its auxilliary buildings have thatched roofs. The shrine grounds have a relaxed and sacred air to them.
The Fog Terrace
The "Tamba Fog" that appears across the Kameoka Basin from autumn to spring is a unique sight for which Kameoka is known.
In the morning in particular, the scenery as viewed from the Fog terrace is wonderful, and visitors are particularly invited to enjoy it.
We recommend that you check the fog conditions online before heading out.
During fogless seasons, this is also a wonderful location from which to overlook all of Kameoka.
Ono Dam Park
Ono Dam Park, located in Nantan City in Woodland Kyoto, is located on the shores of Ono Dam Lake. Surrounded by abundant nature, it is called the “Rainbow Lake” has been selected as one of the "100 Selected Dam Lakes" by the Dam Water Source Environment Improvement Center. The park is ideal for picnics and walks and includes a natural grass plaza, athletic facilities, and a walking course that goes around lake of the dam. Local residents have also planted over 1000 cherry trees and about 500 maple trees making the entire lake side awash with color; making it one of the best spots for cherry blossoms and autumn leaves in Kyoto. Every year, the "Sakura Festival" is held in April and the "Ono Dam Momiji Festival" is held in November drawing large crowds. This means that the park is a great place to visit year round.
The Ono Dam is a 61.4 meter high concrete dam located downstream of the Miyama River in the Yura River basin that flows from east to west near the town of Miyama and was completed in 1961. It was the first multipurpose dam in Kyoto Prefecture as it is used for both water control and power generation.
Boasting a size that's the largest in the Kinki region, Hiyoshi Dam was the first dam opened in Japan, and its interior is open to visitors. The damn lake has an area of 2,741 square meters, a height of 67.4 meters, width of 438 meters, and a capacity of 67,000 cubic meters. Facilities open to visitors at Hiyoshi Dam include an information gallery and visitor center.
Omoto Headquarters (Ruins of Tamba Kameyama Castle)
In 1577, the samurai Akechi Mitsuhide, known as the assassin of warlord Oda Nobunaga, built a castle here as his base for his Tamba invasion. Hirayama Castle was built on a hill (Mt. Arazuka) overlooking the Hozu-gawa River, and it is said that Mitsuhide set forth from this castle at the time of the so-called Honno-ji Incident, during which Nobunaga was assassinated.
After the Meiji Restoration (restoration of imperial rule in 1868), the castle was destroyed in accordance with Meiji ordinances to destroy castle, but the castle's stone wall has been restored by the current owners, the religious organization Omoto. Visitors may enter via reservation, and take a look at the moss-covered stones in the middle of this tranquil forest to discover the vestiges that supported the castle for many years.
For reservations, please inquire with the Omoto Headquarters general reception.
Old Shitsumi Elementary School
The former Shitsumi Elementary School closed in March, 2011.
The building is now being re-used, with its nostalgic wooden school house interior just as it used to be.
Inside, you'll find a number of shops, including a picture book shop, Italian restaurant, sundry goods shop, and more, making this a popular sightseeing locations amongst people both in and outside the town.
The Hozukyo Gorge, which stretches from the Hozu Bridge area in Kameoka City to Arashiyama's Togetsu-kyo Bridge, is known as one of the most beautiful such gorges in Kyoto. The boat ride down the Hozu-gawa River, in particular, is full of thrills, and is one of the main sightseeing attractions of the gorge.
Wachi River Terrace
The district of Wachi in the town of Kyotamba is home to some incredible river terrace scenery, where homes and fields spread out from the river towards the mountains. The area is often visited by photographers coming to capture the scenery.
Kyoto Tamba Park
Kyoto Tamba Park includes a planetarium, athletics stadium, tennis courts, putting green, gymnasium, facilities in which to stay overnight, softball field, water park (pool), baseball field, plaza for children, gateball field, picnic hall, grassy field, and a forest playground. The park is a popular location for field trips, and events are held here throughout the year, bringing in lots of people. The Kyoto Training Center also opened here in 2016. It's the headquarters of sports in Kyoto.
Surrounded by its Main Hall, temple kitchen, and temple gate, the grounds at Fusai-ji are quiet and tree-shaded, giving this temple a strong Zen feeling. Legend has it that the general Ashikaga Takauji hid his younger sister, Princess Chikusa, in the temple hall here during wartime, and once he had seized control of all the land, the monk Muko Soseki founded the temple in 1346, Princess Chikusa became his apprentice nun, and Fusai-ji Temple was founded.