To-no-shima and Tachibana-jima Islands are collectively called Naka-no-shima (islands in the middle of the river). There is a beautiful 13-story pagoda around 15 meters tall on To-no-shima. It was built in the Late Kamakura period (1192-1333) by the monk Eison, of Nara's Saidai-ji Temple, to pray for the souls of fish. The pagoda, which was buried by the river in a flood in 1756, was rediscovered and rebuilt towards the end of the Meiji period (1868-1912).
The flood levees are famous for the cherry trees that flower there. In early April, the Uji-gawa Cherry Blossom Festival is held on the island, which has now become a park.
- Uji City, Kyoto Prefecture
- 10 minute walk from Uji Station on the Keihan Uji Line
10 minute walk from Uji Station on the JR Nara Line