Kaijusen-ji Temple was founded in 735, and dates back to the time of Emperor Shomu, who oversaw the safe construction of the Great Buddha statue (at Todai-ji Temple in Nara). It was Emperor Shomu who ordered a Buddhist priest known as Roben Sojo to build this temple. Although the temple burnt down, it was restored by a Buddhist priest known as Gedatsu Shonin Jokei in the Kamakura Period (1185–1333). The temple’s five-storied pagoda, one of the Kamakura Period’s masterpieces, is designated as a National Treasure. The temple owns a statue of the Eleven-faced Bodhisattva Kannon, along with the Monju-do Hall, enshrining the Monju Kannon Bodhisattva statue, a colored Hokke Mandala painting on silk cloth, and Kaijusen-ji Temple’s documents, all of which are designated as Important Cultural Properties.
- 20 Kaijusen, Reihei, Kamo-cho, Kizugawa City, Kyoto Prefecture
- Take the Kizugawa City Community Bus from Kamo Station on the JR Yamatoji Line, and get off at "Kaijusenji-guchi" bus stop. The temple is about a 25-minute walk from this stop.
- Business Hours
- 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Open every day