Omido Kannon-ji Temple is located in the “Infused with Tea” region of Kyoto in Kyotanabe City. The temple was founded over 1300 years ago at the request of Emperor Tenmu. It has been hit by numerous fires and in a fire in 1437 (Eikyo 9) 13 temples and 20 monk's houses were lost. Only Omidou (main hall) was rebuilt and survives to this day.
The main statue is of the eleven-faced Avalokiteśvara Bodhisattva, which is made by a technique which paper or cloth is lacquered to make it look like wood, and is registered as a national treasure as one of the only seven eleven-faced Avalokiteśvara Bodhisattva statues in the country.
In spring, the cherry blossoms on the approach to the temple are in full bloom. Also rape blossoms cover the field in front of the temple, which is a spectacular sight to see.
In autumn, the main hall and garden are decorated with fall leaves. A light-up event is held every year and is the best way to enjoy the fall colors at the temple.
- 13 Fugenji Shimodaimon, Kyotanabe City, Kyoto Prefecture
- Bus: From "Miyamaki" Station on the Kintetsu Kyoto Line or "JR Miyamaki" Station on the JR Gakken Toshi Line, take the Nara Kotsu Bus and get off at "Fugenji" and walk 3-minute
Car: Approximately 10 minutes after getting off at the "Tanabe-nishi" IC on the Keinawa Expressway
- Business Hours
- 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Open every day
- Donation of 400 yen is suggested
Number of regular vehicles: 30 spaces (Fee: free)
Number of large vehicles: 2 spaces * Located next to Kotaro Nishimura Shoten along prefectural road 65