During the Nara period (710-794), the Emperor Tenmu was once hunting on Mt. Kasagi, and as he reached the dangerous climax of his chase after a deer, he prayed to the Buddha and escaped harm. The image of the bodhissatva Maitreya that he carved on the surface of a large stone there became the principle image of worship at what become Kasagi-dera Temple. The temple grew as a training ground for mountain ascetics (known as "shugensha") in the late Heian period (794-1185), but was burned down during the Genko War (1331-1333). The current main hall, the Shogatsu Hall, and Bishamondo Halls were built during the Muromachi period (1336-1573).
- 29 Kasagi Kasagiyama, Kasagi-cho, Soraku District, Kyoto Prefecture
- 45 minute walk from Kasagi Station on the JR Kansai Main Line
- Business Hours
- 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.