Kosho-ji Temple

Main content starts here.

お茶の京都

Sotoshuji-in Temple is the training hall opened in Fukakusa (Fushimi) by Dogen in the Kamakura Period, reconstructed in 1648 by Lord Nagai Naomasa, lord of Yodo Castle, using the remains of Fushimi Castle. Highlights amongst the seven structures in the Zenshu-jiin Temple compound include Kotozaka, the approach to the temple that forms a tunnel of fall foliage in autumn; the Ryuguzukuri temple gate; “nightingale” hallway floors; the Tenarai Kannon as mentioned in The Tale of Genji; and chitenjo ceilings.

Basic information

Address

Postal code:611-0021
27-1Uji-yamada, Uji City

Parking

Number of regular vehicles: 30 parking spaces(Charges: Free)

Large vehicles coming from Ujibashi-higashizume Crossing cannot enter so please park large buses around Byodoin Temple’s or Genji Museum’s parking areas.

Time held/open

9:00–17:00 Closing (Last admission 16:30)

Regular holidays/closings

January 1 to 3 May be closed due to a Buddhist memorial service

Charges

Other: Touring of the Temple Garden is free.
Going inside the temple requires 300-yen contribution per person.

Access

Train : Keihan Uji Line / Uji Station / Walk / 10 min

Car : Keiji By-pass Uji-nishi IC / 10 min
Keihan Uji Station Ujibashi Bridge / 3 min

Access to Kyoto by the Sea

Access to Kyoto in the Forests

Access to Kyoto Infused with Tea

Access to Kyoto Otokuni Bamboo Grove

Equipment and service in facilities

Toilet facilities available

Contact information

Name

Kosho-ji Temple

Map

HOME > Kosho-ji Temple