Kotohikihama Kakezu Beach in Amino-cho, Kyotango City is a scenic beach with white sand and pine trees. It is famous for being the largest "singing sand" beach in Japan, with a total length of 1.8 km. The main component of singing sand is quartz, which produces a unique squeaky tone only on sandy beaches with clean water and few impurities. For this reason, environmental conservation is important, and this was the first non-smoking beach in the world.
On the beach, there is an open-air bath with a natural source of flowing hot spring water where you can bathe for free (mixed-gender bathing, and a bathing suit is required). You can enjoy the beautiful view of the sea while relaxing in the hot spring bath.
Every year at the beginning of June, a "Barefoot Concert" (Hadashino Concert) is held here. The entrance fee is helping out with the beach cleaning before the concert starts! Flea markets are also set up in addition to the concert.
In addition to being a designated national natural monument, Kotohikihama Kakezu Beach has also entered numerous selections, such as the 100 Soundscapes of Japan, the 100 Coasts of Japan, the 100 White Sand and Pine Trees of Japan, and the 200 Natural Spots of Kyoto Prefecture.
- Kyotango City Tourism Corporation Amino-cho Branch: 0772-72-0900
- Kakezu, Amino-cho, Kyotango City, Kyoto Prefecture
- Bus: From Amino Station on Kyoto Tango Railway's Miyatoyo Line, take the Tango Mineyama Line bus (bound for Kyogamisaki or Tango Government Office) for about 10 minutes, get off at "Kotohikihama" bus stop, and walk for 10 minutes.
Car: From Sanin Kinki Expressway Nodagawa Omiya Road, get off at Kyotango Omiya Interchange, head straight and turn right onto National Highway 312, turn right onto National Highway 482, go straight onto National Highway 663, turn right onto National Highway 178, and follow the signs for Kotohikihama Beach.
- Business Hours
- Mid-July to mid-August (Confirmation needed)
- Space for regular-sized vehicles: 200 (Price: 1,000 yen/day, 2,000 yen overnight. *Parking fee is required all year round)
Number of large vehicles: －(Price: 2,000 yen/day *Parking fee is required all year round)
- Motorbike parking is charged 500 yen/day and 1,000 yen overnight
- Open all year round